Upcoming Boatmaster Course
April 21, 2021
Abu Dhabi Maritime Academy is pleased to announce that the next Boatmaster Course will start on 23rd May 2021 and is now available for booking via our website using the “Course Booking” button.
The Boatmaster Course will provide the candidate with an FMA (Federal maritime Authority of the UAE) Approved STCW (International Maritime Organisation (IMO) Standards of Training Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers) compliant qualification to sail as Master on small commercial vessel up to 200 Gross Tons operating in the near coastal area.
This will give the holder access to employment in the maritime sector with an internationally recognised qualification.
The course is open to both high school leavers and experienced seafarers who meet the entry requirements (proof of which must be submitted when booking a place on the course) as follows:
- Aged 18 or above (passport or ID).
- Hold a high school certificate (for experienced seafarers, if not available, a testimonial stating the duration and experience of the candidate in maritime employment).
- Hold a certificate of proficiency in English – the certificate should be from an approved English language-testing centre meeting IELTS Level 4, EMSAT 875 points, the Marlins/ISF English test, or proof of English as native language (passport).
- Hold a valid seafarers medical and eyesight test – from an FMA approved medical centre on IMO approved form.
For experienced seafarers, in order to be exempt for the post-course sea time requirement, they must show proof of 36 months sea time. This can be either a seaman’s book or a testimonial from the employer stating all dates of joining/leaving vessels.
The course duration will be advised at the time of booking and is dependent on the qualifications held.
The duration at the Academy is between 5 and 7 weeks for which a charge of AED 3 750.00 + Vat per week is applicable.
The Sea Time requirements for the qualification are:
- For new entrants, at least 6 months sea service, after completion of the theory training programme, on commercial vessels of not less than 80 GT at the same time completing the Boatmaster Training Record Book
- For experienced seafarers, holding either an STCW II/4 or STCW II/5 qualification and having met the entry requirements above, at least 3 months sea service, after completion of the Theory Training Programme, on Commercial Vessels of not less than 80 GT at the same time completing the Boatmaster Training Record Book. This does not apply for those exempted from the sea time requirement.
Places are limited and early booking is recommended to secure a place on the course.
For further enquiries, and to learn about our flexible delivery options, please contact us at Maritime.Training@adports.ae